Hobbit x Tim Ho Wan

by - 11:30 PM

Oh well, I haven't really managed to stay at home for this whole week. I know people may not believe it, but I am really an introvert who feels this immense need to get away from people after spending too much outside. 

So anyway, I managed to caught The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. Need to confess that I have never touched the books cause... I am just not someone who likes books that require some form of imagination. I mean, the books that I usually loved are about family/love/death/illness, things that are extremely real. But who knows, maybe when I am free I will read the books cause I find the movies not bad. A little draggy but the effects and scenery at New Zealand make up for it ^^ Too many countries that I want to go, why is traveling such an expensive thing? I really hope I have some nice exam timetable, managed to settle PA and then get to travel to Japan at least. Kyoto and Osaka looks really good!!! ALL MY SASHIMI TOO. But gonna miss Tokyo bananas.

Then on Thursday, met the uni clique for dinner at Tim Ho Wan. Yesss, I finally tried Tim Ho Wan. We were at the Plaza Sing outlet. Actually secretly wanted it to be at Westgate or Toa Payoh SIGHHHH. Hate traveling to town cause of the MRTs. But I was still the earliest!!! The things I do for food.

The queue wasn't that long actually. Like I think a group of four should be able to get in the shop within half an hour if they start queuing at 6plus? And the service in the shop was really quick because customers are supposed to fill up order form while waiting. Oh and the service was quick cause they want everyone to clear the place asap cause of limited seats.

So obviously, everyone goes to Tim Ho Wan for the char siew bao. I don't even like char siew baos usually (in fact dislike it ever since all the food scare/some HK horror/thriller movie with human meat in char siew bao argh) but I still ate the char siew bao hahaha. 

Okay so the first dish that arrived was the char siew bao. Everyone started taking photos of these buns. So here's my photo.

Baked pork bun
3 for $4.50 
I think there's a restriction on the number of buns one can order, but I am not too sure about the limit haha.
(Argh, friend whatsapped me to show off that the buns in HK were selling for $1 #okcan)

Here's the interior of the char siew bao. I think the draw of the buns is actually the skin of the bun leh. Like unique cause it's baked and normal char siew bao is erm steamed. The first bite was really good. Like the buns were pipping hot and the skin was really soft. 

Beancurd roll with prawns
3 for $5
HAHA was busy eating and someone started eating before I managed to take the photo sighhh. Anyway this was really average only. 

Fried carrot cake
3 for $4.50
This is one of the four famous dishes in Tim Ho Wan, so we ordered it. Tasted really normal only. Oily. Arghhhh thank goodness for tea.


Steamed egg cake
$3.80
Another one of the four famous dishes. Well, we ordered all the famous dishes except for the rolls with pork liver cause I don't like pork liver haha. Anyway, this steamed cake is good. Like fluffy and soft.

Har kow
4 for $5.50
This was not bad. Like I think the prawn taste really fresh.

Siew Mai and Vermicelli Roll with Char Siew
4 for $5 and $5.50 for the roll (I think)
I like the siew mai! I think the roll (chee cheong fun) was normal only? I prefer the chee cheong fun skin to be really thin.

Fish maw with chicken
$5.50
Well, I think we just fall for some marketing strategy again. See the words "monthly special" and then decide to order this to give it a try. It tasted average only.

And then dessert time. Ordered the jelly thing that contains osmanthus cause it sounds unique.
Tonic Medlar and Osmanthus Cake
3 for $5.50
I think it really tastes quite refreshing and unique but I don't really like it. Not a super big fan of floral smelling food. Like I HATE LAVENDER COOKIES. Why eat something that taste like soap!?

Overall, I feel that Tim Ho Wan wasn't super good? We ended up spending around $25 per person. yes we were full but I feel that it's not really worth it. Tim Ho Wan doesn't have much variety compared to Swee Choon (okay maybe I have just become a Swee Choon fan). I think Swee Choon is still more worth it and more life-changing hahaha. I swear trying Swee Choon liushabao is a life-changing event HAHAHA. Shall compare to HK outlets when I am over in HK :)

Went for a walk around after dinner. Christmas lights :) Someday, I shall be having a White Christmas!!! Okay some pretty pictures :)




Good nightttt, I think the post is a little too long.

You May Also Like

0 comments