Week 1

by - 1:19 AM

6th January- 12th January

Woohoo first post in Hong Kong :) So I have been here for a week. Don't know whether to say that time flies or not. Maybe it's just cause I don't have much lessons yet..


So... I took the airplane to Hong Kong on 6th January with the rest of the NTU exchange people. It's really quite funny how we try and recognise one another cause the only form of communication we had was via whatsapp. Hmm.

Monday 6th January

Had my first meal on exchange... MACS BREAKFAST! They have soya bean milk here as an alternative to hot coffee and tea!! SO HEALTHY! Bummed around at the airport till 11am to wait for the shuttle bus, checked into hall and then headed off to IKEA at 2.15pm. Bought necessities like pillow, hanger, pegs etc. Went to Park & Shop at Shatin to buy more necessities like tissue paper, washing powder... NEVER KNEW THERE WERE SO MANY THINGS THAT ONE NEED TO LIVE ALONE OMGGGG. And the shopping mall near school was too atas and hence the supermarket has things that were overpriced. :(

Tuesday 7th January

Headed off to IKEA alone. Please clap for me leh! Okay, it's damn easy to get there but still... Went there to buy quilt cause it was so cold in the room. Lucky my roommate lent me her blanket on the first night :) Went back to school for talks etc and then... the guys decided that they need to go IKEA again omgggg. Okay at least we settled our SIM card and got to try some food place which was supposed to be cheap and good :)
Second dinner in HK: 大快活


Wednesday 8th January

Woke up early for my first run in HK ^^ Finally understood how it is possible to run in winter. It feels like an unique experience to run in winter without feeling sweaty and sticky.

Had my first breakfast in Hall Canteen. The prices were okay but the food wasn't that good :( What's with the siew mai and meat being separated?!

Headed to Mongkok for dinner. Mongkok has pretty good shopping I guess. Bought my first pair of boots for around S$30 hmm.

Oh what's Mongkok without trying street food right? Tried the curry fishball (鱼旦) and a few other hot dog related food. Ohhh and the pig intestine which we didn't like hmm. 

And dinner was at this small shop that sells 车仔面. Oops I have no idea what it means but the noodles were like Singapore yongtaufoo style, which means the customers get to choose ingredients and noodles that they want and then pay for it.

车仔面

The beef ball was really quite good :) Along with the soup. Actually all soup taste awesome in this weather. Can't really get use to the cold #fail.

Thursday 9th January 

Had orientation in school so we didn't really explore any places. Orientation was really freaking lame. Take photos at places in school whattttt. But the dimsum lunch was pretty good! I like the siew mai and the mango mochi dessert :) Didn't really like the har kow cause I find the skin too thick hmm.

Managed to find a new place to buy groceries at the housing estate behind school! Namshan estate!! Headed over there in the evening and we spotted this shop that sells good Bolo buns and eggtarts. Okay I bought laopobing which didn't taste good (again).

Had dinner at the area. The sweet and sour pork rice wasn't nice but the hor fun was pretty good :)

Friday 10th January

Hmm, I guess the main thing of the day was that I went to Victoria Harbour. The view was kind of pretty and I can't wait to go there at night to see the lights. And Victoria peak too hehehe.
Okay maybe my photography skills sucks. HAHA, it looks better in real life.

I can't really remember what happened but the next main thing was heading out for dinner to this place at Shamshuipo named 三哥 for noodles and some chicken wings with the NTU people and my roommate. 

Saturday 11th January

One Dim Sum at Prince Edward for breakfast!! Omg the service was good, the food was good and the price is good as well. Singapore $7 wth where to find this in Singapore? And yes, this is one of the food on my list, so happy that I managed to give it a try :) Only bad part was that we had to wait one hour plus ._.

Here are some photos of the dishes I like better ^^

Chee Cheong Fun skin wrapped with you tiao.

 Okay they don't call this that way and I can't remember its name. But this is interestingly good. Soft skin and crispy youtiao. :D

Me with the custard bun.

Okay, this custard bun doesn't flow out. But the milky custard taste was good too. AND THE BAO WAS BIG HAHAHA. Value for money teehee.

Then we went to Lantau Island. The last time I headed there in 2010, it was so freaking cold that I didn't bother going up. SIGHHH REGRETS. This time it was really warm. I am forever inappropriately dressed for Lantau Island :(


Along with the people I always hang out with :)

We managed to climb a little bit of Lantau Peak. And I managed to climb onto a rock woohoo. Okay I was screaming/whining cause I am a bimbo oops. But yaaaay, worth the climb. Nice view and I guess we will back here to hike :)



Amazing view that looks like it's photoshopped/googled but nope.



Left Lantau Island when the sun was about to set, so pretty :)

Then we headed there to Jordan area for dinner. Mak Man Kee noodles, another food ticked off the list! The wanton was amazing. Like seriously where can you find wanton with TWO prawns!!! LIKE WOW. The noodles wasn't great but the wanton was omg so damn freaking good. First meal that I finished everything on my plate!!!

Sunday 12th January

HAHA Sunday was supposed to be a extremely chill day but end up not very chill LOL. We went to Causeway Bay and guess what, I found HK's version of Lucky Plaza where the foreign workers hang out at!!! And they were having some form of flea market. Budget Cher likes this place hahaha.

Walked around and we saw a sign leading to Bowling. HAHA we wanted to exercise a bit and bowl but guess what... It was lawn bowl omgggg. Remind me of the GP tutor and my visit to her house hmm.

SUCK AT LAWN BOWL D:

Walked around Causeway Bay and there were quite a few shops selling cheap stuff :) Like nice long sleeve shirts for like what HKD$50!! Buy first, talk later (LOL)

Then we headed to Central (I think) and stopped at this food place. The prices were slightly higher but omg serving size of the meat. AND I SUPER LOVE THE ROASTED PORK AND GOOSE :D :D

It's called Yat Lok restaurant (一乐餐馆). Okay the chinese name isn't very accurate cause their words are in like traditional characters.


Then we headed to IFC for the toilet and the view hahaha. Stayed there for around 45 mins cause we realised it was too foggy/hazy for a good view of the lights.

First ferry ride in HK haha. 

Headed to Yau Ma Tei for our dinner to realise that we were damn retarded on Saturday night. We walked along the streets to look at stalls from Jordan to Yau Ma Tei without realising we were at Yau Ma Tei and then walked all the way back to Jordan before going back hall LOL.

Had claypot rice and some other dishes. Omg I was so freaking happy to see broccoli cause I have been seeing kai lan every single day. :( I miss having a variety of vegetables to eat. SIGH PIE.

Ohhh then we had dessert at this stall which seems popular named Yuen Kee Dessert which was like opposite the place where we had our dinner. Black sesame paste :) Will definitely head back there to try more dessert.

Feelings

Well when the plane took off from Singapore, this whole idea of living abroad for four plus months feel really surreal. It felt like I was just taking another holiday trip with my friends and I will be in a week or so. I love it when planes take off (random) but I realised that I love it even more when planes land at Changi Airport cause I am back to where I am.

(Okay watched the popular/viral video about why someone is not proud of being a Singaporean) Well, I guess all the points are relevant but then I guess as cliche as it sounds, what really matters is the people in the place.

Hahaha I sound as if I want to be back in Singapore already. Confession time: Erm actually don't really look forward to be in Singapore right now because I am still having fun on exchange, not having to study yet (maybe should kind of flip through my notes) Okay I did miss home in the first few days cause I am so dependent on people etc but currently I am feeling pretty excited/happy to be on exchange :) Only worry now is my PA hmm :(

Hmm probably should make more friends with the local students... OKAY SHALL BE MORE SOCIABLE. Good nightttt world :)

You May Also Like

0 comments