Cherangsty's guide to Tiong Bahru

by - 4:11 PM

Disclaimer: I don't stay in Tiong Bahru. Neither do I hang out at Tiong Bahru often.

Mention Tiong Bahru to your friends and what will you get in reply? Cafe-hopping? The place where 118 (current Channel 8 drama) features?

Having been to Tiong Bahru recently, I realised that there is huge variety of food places  there. I would totally love to work there (as much as how I want to work at Tanjong Pagar- closer friends will know my love for the food there hehe).

Oh,so here's the list of food places I have compiled.

(Photos are taken by me unless otherwise stated)

 Forty Hands

Source: 
https://eastiebrekkiedotcom.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/fourty-hands-behind-a-cup-of-coffee/ 


Piccolo latte and lemon ricotta cheesecake in the background.
Piccolo latte-  ristretto shot (15 – 20 ml) topped with warm, silky milk served in a 100 ml glass demitasse (small latte glass) 
Ricotta-  soft white unsalted Italian cheese.

Oh you are welcome.

Given how 40 hands was well-known for its coffee, I had quite high expectations of the coffee there... but I was quite disappointed. Didn't try the mains or the famous tau sar pau from them so this review may not be really reliable (LOL).

Address: 78 Yong Siak Street, #01-12, 163078

P.S Cafe Petit


Love the ambiance of this place. It is so appropriate for a formal date. And I guess it's a good place to chill with your close friends. Oh did I mention that there is a huge collection of wines (!!!) as well.

I will definitely love to go back there to try their truffle fries. 

Address: Blk 78 Guan Chuan Street #01-41, 160078

Sin Lee

Source:
http://www.soshiok.com/content/new-life-old-0/page/0/2 

Broccoli aburi salad

This was my favourite dish among all the dishes I ordered. This tasted like broccoli chips- perhaps it was airfried (?). I think this may be the trick to get broccoli haters to give broccoli a try! 

Salted egg yolk sweet potato fries

I love salted egg yolk in my mooncakes, in my bread or paus and now... there's salted egg yolk with fries. Oh I like sweet potato too, sweet potato with red bean dessert, sweet potato fries from Shi Lin. 

So this sounded like an amazing combination and I can say the reason why I wanted to go Sin Lee was for this!

Hmm this is good BUT it gets a bit gelat after a while. Doubt I can finish this on my own so I will suggest that you share this as a group.

Fried chicken and waffle

I was pleasantly surprised by this dish. I am not a fan of fried food especially fried chicken because it's usually very oily (hinting at a certain fast food with three alphabets as its name). This combination offered by Sin Lee felt less sinful. The waffle was quite light in terms of flavour and the chicken was not too oily. 

Sin Lee's decorations were really old school and I would think it is a good place to hang out with friends. There is even a nice wall near the cafe for those who love to take OOTDS. 

Was finding a place to take photo with my friend and the staff at Sin Lee suggested this wall. 

I guess I may go back to Sin Lee for the broccoli salad and try the mentaiko crab mantou. Oh maybe not, since Sin Lee's food is on the slightly pricier side.

Address:4 Jln Bukit Ho Swee, Singapore 162004

Leung Sang Hong Kong Pastries

Source:
http://www.streetdirectory.com/businessfinder/company_detail.php?companyid=166485&branchid=157908

This place was introduced to me by a friend and I think it has its main outlet in Chinatown. This is famous for its egg tarts and roasted chicken pastry.

I tried the egg tart when it was no longer warm. Hmm it was not bad but I do think Tong Heng has better egg tarts hehe. Sigh, I have really great expectations about egg tarts having stayed in Hong Kong for five months for exchange... I miss Tai Cheong and Lord Stow egg tarts :(

Address: 18 Jln Membina, Singapore 164018

Tiong Bahru Galicier Pastry
Source:
 http://www.thesmartlocal.com/read/tiong-bahru-cafe-hopping-food-guide

A friend recommended this place to me, saying that Galicier has very good old school kuehs. I am glad I went to check this place out because there is so many different type of pastries! I bought quite a few kueh, but I tried these: kueh dadar, tapioca cake, putu ayu and ondeh ondeh.

Source:
http://thedeadcockroach.blogspot.sg/2014/03/galicier-confectionery-tiong-bahru.html

Source:
http://www.yelp.com.sg/biz/tiong-bahru-galicier-pastry-singapore

At Galicier, the best-selling item is the kueh dadar (according to the shop assistant). Well, the kueh dadar was kind of a surprise to me. Usually kueh dadar contains brown coloured coconut flakes (because of gula melaka) but Galicier's ones are white! Is that why it is less sweet?

The tapioca cake and putu ayu was kind of normal. I think Xing Xing at Maxwell Food Centre offers a better tapioca cake. Both Xing Xing and Galicier ones are fragrant but I feel that Xing Xing's ones are slightly softer in texture.

The best item at Galicier (from what I managed to try) has to be the ondeh ondeh (or do you spell it as oneh oneh?). Once you take a bite from the ondeh ondeh, the gula melaka filling starts flowing out.
Life-changing moment... Because I have FINALLY found the best ondeh ondeh. 

Okay other than all these food, Tiong Bahru Market actually have an amazing selection of good food too. Ahhh, lor mee, chwee kueh, kway teow (actually I don't like kway teow), pau etc.

Till the next time when I get to explore more food places.

Signing off,
fatty jane.

You May Also Like

0 comments