Cherangsty's guide to Japanese food (in SG)

by - 10:31 PM

Hi there, I am here to blog about food after a while.

It's been a long time because I have no inspiration about what to write. Each time I type something, it just doesn't feel right. I used to type my food recommendation/thought posts here without putting too much thoughts into my words but these days, I am just full of doubts. Sighhh.

Here's my attempt to re-ignite my passion in writing and also to share some yummy Japanese food (my opinion may be different from yours) so you can save your tummy space for the best.

Oh random thought, if this is an email draft for work, here's the place to insert a line and start my draft proper #workissues #notexpectingyoutounderstand


Why Japanese food, you may wonder. Well, I love all things Japanese. Japan's culture, weather, transport and of course, their food. Sushi, tonkatsu, tendon, ramen, matcha desserts etc. When I am asked to choose/shortlist dining options, I think the probability of me suggesting Japanese cuisine is 60% HAHA. Ok, cut the story short, let's move on with the pictures and the list of food places 😋


Sumiya 

For an amount of approximately $20, one could savour the salmon ikura don, chawanmushi, salad, pickles and mochi. 

The salmon and the salmon roe were very fresh and sesame mochi was good as well (QQ, not too sweet). But bad news? This is no longer on their lunch set menu and without the lunch set promotion, this probably cost around $30-40 :'(



Genki Sushi
Sushi served to you in a train, how cute is it?

Won't say I have tried many sushi in SG but comparing this to Sushi Express? I would choose this any time. Genki's salmon sashimi just taste fresher (okay, Genki's a bit pricier than Sushi Express). and their grilled salmon sushi actually arrives to your table warm (!!) and you could actually taste the smokiness (haha I meant it in a good way). Other than the grilled salmon sushi, the oyakodon and the salmon/crabmeat triple flavour (plain, black pepper and mentaiko salmon/crameat) are pretty good as well!

Yup, so if I am in town and craving for affordable Japanese food, Genki Sushi is definitely on the top of my list.


Kazan Japanese Cuisine
Black salmon pepper rice from a stall at Chinatown Complex.

Yup, this definitely has to be the cheapest in my list of good Japanese food. The serving size of the salmon is decent (not too thin and there's two pieces) and this costs around $6 (from what I remember), which makes it very value for money! The salmon is very crispy (fried on the spot) and the owner is very polite. 

The only bad thing about this place? Long queue during lunch time and this queue could be probably worse now given that EatBook (part of TheSmartLocal) featured them a couple of months ago here. Nonetheless, worth the hype 😋


The Standing Sushi Bar

Just realised I don't really have pictures of my food from this restaurant... is it because the food is so good that I don't have the patience to wait and snap pictures of my food? HAHA.

Standing Sushi Bar has three outlets (four if you count Tanuki Raw which is owned by them) and I have only been to the one near Singapore Art Museum. Their sashimi is one of the best (if not the best) I have ever eaten. Thick,fresh slices and the $3 for 5 pieces offer on Mon and Thurs makes this very worth it! Be sure to reserve your seats (think the one near Singapore Art Museum takes reservations) because they run promotions almost every day of the week e.g. 50% off rice bowls on Sundays, 50% off sushi rolls on Wednesday... Other than the sashimi, they have really good sushi rolls too. Would definitely want to head down on a Sunday to try their rice bowls 😍


Tonkotsu King Four Seasons Ramen
Winter ramen

As evident from the shop name, this shop which is located near Bugis Village offers different broths named after the seasons. I can only remember the summer ramen being spicy haha. Keisuke has a couple of outlets and I have tried their ramen from Tori King and Tonkotsu King at Tanjong Pagar and Keisuke Tokyo at Suntec City but I feel that the outlet at Bugis Village serves the best ramen! Meat is tender enough, soup is not too salty and the best part about Keisuke ramen outlets it that they have free flow bean sprouts and hard boiled eggs!


While there are many other Japanese food shops that I frequent and enjoy, I am trying to limit myself to 5 favourites (if not this post will be never ending). So, with that, have fun eating ;)


You May Also Like

0 comments