Cherangsty's (limited) guide to cafes

by - 3:14 PM

Okay since people insist that I do go cafe quite often, no harm typing this while waiting for nails to dry/moping over unemployed life/waiting for sun to set to run. So actually within 2015, I have went to the following cafes (hmm actually which of the following really constitute as a cafe huh)

  • Roycemary 
  • Tian Kee and Co.
  • Hoopla
  • Cafe Melba
  • Boufe Cafe
  • Maccha House
  • Pitchstop (Does it really count as one???)
  • Coffee Nowhere (Now here, not no where haha)
  • Prive
  • Tiong Bahru Bakery
  • Montana Brew Bar
  • Carpenter &Cook
  • L'etoile Cafe
  • Holy Cow Creamery
  • Sunday Folks
  • SPRMKT
  • On The Table
Wow, didn't know the list is soooo looong haha. I mean, there are definitely people with a much longer list okaaaay. Haha so to prevent your waist line from going up and your wallet thickness from going down, here's my (very humble) opinion.

Among the list of cafes I went to this year, there's only a few that I would definitely head back. Hmm... so among all the cafes I have ever went to, here's what I really like.


Tiong Bahru Bakery

Tell me I am not the only one who likes their coffee!! I was supposed to meet my friends at another cafe- Montana's Brew Bar and I wanted to give their coffee a try BUT I happened to enter Tiong Bahru Bakery and I JUST CANNOT LEAVE THE PLACE WITHOUT THEIR COFFEE. I am no coffee connoisseur, I can't tell you how the beans were roasted etc... But I can tell how good the coffee smell and taste hahaha. So what would I choose between Starbucks and this?? HAHAHAHAHA it's an obvious answer. 


And other than good coffee, everyone knows how awesome their croissants and kouign amann are. Buttery, fragrant and crispy, I am hungry NOW.


Lola's Cafe

I have been wanting to go back to Lola's Cafe for a longgg time. I honestly think they serve one of the best chicken wings (other than Four Fingers omnomnom). Honey Paprika Wings is definitely one of Lola's signature dishes. Other than the good chicken wings, I think the good service recovery may be the reason why I had such a good impression of them. Many cafes actually do offer good service (like RoyceMary- offers to take photos, gives suggestions about drinks etc) and I do think that for a cafe to do well, it not only needs to offer good food and ambiance BUT also impeccable service. HAHA good service recovery does remind me of MR lessons, hmmm but bye bookssss see you again if I ever do a Masters. Okay back to Lola's.



Hungry from looking at the chicken wings :'( But anyway, since I am not sponsored/paid, I can afford to be honest hehe. While their chicken wings, mains and dessert were average to good, their drinks were not very good. :( BUT I still want to go and try their scrambled eggs with croissant hehe. Okay, I must be really weird since Lola's Cafe is so out of the way for me and there's always a queue... They do have another shop called On The Table with similar food  BUT also inconvenient for me. Woes of living at where I lived hahaha.


Haha the issue of taking so long to update this post is that... I really went to On The Table and tried their croissant with scrambled eggs. This is good and really filling. I think two can share this dish and order their legendary, Honey Paprika Wings.

Oh and I tried their Affogato too! My first ever Affogato so I can't comment...

Prive Cafe

The ambiance at Prive Cafe is really good. Well, apparently stars can be spotted at Keppel Bay, how romantic rightttt, so if any guys come across this page, DON'T SAY I NEVER SHARE. Oh if one were to go there in the morning, it's still a good place to hang out. It's definitely very ootd worthy hahhaha.

Hmm, I usually prioritise the taste of food over the ambiance if I were to choose the dining location. I am not saying that the food at Prive was not good (it's really not bad) BUT the ambiance definitely contributed to the fact why I chose it as one of my favourite cafe hehe. Oh, I really want to give their brunch sets a try someday hehe.

Nice view (but irritating fan hahaha!)

Tsujiri Tea House

Having tried several matcha places in Singapore, I think Tsujiri offers the best tasting and most affordable matcha options (ice-cream and latte wise). Maccha House and Nana offer good matcha as well BUT the prices were like 10+ to around 20 dollars!! But the servings are much bigger as well. BUT desserts are not meant to be so huge right? Tsujiri's servings are just nice in my opinion. :) And having several outlets is a definite plus point :)

Red bean is definitely one of the best thing to go along with your matcha ice-cream hehe

Oh I did try Amasoy matcha ice-cream and I am a firm believer that matcha should be a little bit bitter instead of being just sweet. Amasoy icecream is a little too sweet and too icy in my opinion but if you like sweeter desserts, you can give it a try cause it's quite affordable.

What a long post hahaha. Sigh and I wonder why I don't have abs, now I guess I know why. Till the next time when I explore more foooooood.

Signing off,
a fat jane.

You May Also Like

0 comments