#2017bestnine

by - 9:55 PM


So, it is the time of the year where one may get to see multiple collages of people's best nine moments. Thought it will be apt to reflect upon some of the best (imo) food, drink, song, movie, TV show etc. 


BEST FOOD

Would have wanted to differentiate into different cuisines but I don't think I am that adventurous with food. So the best food in 2017 would have to be Teppei Syokudo


Colourful chunks of sashimi on rice 😍

The serving size of the rice is not a lot so I like it cause less carbs HAHA. While Sushiro (featured in the best nine on Instagram) is much cheaper, I prefer Teppei's version because the rice is less sweet (probably due to the sauce) and also no queue (cause time is precious and I had to queue for almost an hour for Sushiro). 


Other honourable mentions include: Muchachos (my favourite Mexican restaurant, okay actually never eat much Mexican food) and Lola's Cafe (all time favourite cafe with amazing honey chicken wings).


BEST COFFEE/TEA

Having gone to Australia (Sydney) this year, obviously the best coffee will have to be from Australia right. 

The best coffee will have to be from Bourke Street Bakery (Do try their pastries especially the ginger creme brulee tart as well). Coffee from The Lab is pretty good as well.

As for coffee/tea in SG, I do enjoy Magic Coffee (double shot ristretto to milk, in a magical ratio, indeed magical) from Strangers' Reunion!

Let's make love, coffee, and magic. 

Okay, quote to live by. But can someone sponsor my coffee class?

Honourable mentions include Waan Cha (which I discovered at the Geylang Serai Bazaar), G7 Trung Nguyen Espresso ($3.80 for 15 packs leh) and also Essenso 2 in 1.


Waan Cha's coffee milk tea. 

Usually Thai iced milk tea is overly sweet but this coffee adds this edge to the milk tea, cutting through the sweetness. So this milk tea is perfect if you aren't a fan of cloyingly sweet drinks (like me).

BEST EXPERIENCE

I guess the best experience will have to be meeting a koala bear and petting her at Walkabout Wildlife Park hehe (sorry can't remember her name already).

Koala bear awww

Australia, you will have a place in my heart (love their beaches, their blue skies).

A close second will be experiencing Yunomori Onsen. This probably pale in comparison to those in Japan but I thought this was still quite authentic in the sense given that there are a couple of Japanese mums and daughters enjoying the onsen there... Not a super cheap experience but I guess it's worth it to go and experience it at least once.

And bonus points for Yunomori Onsen for their decent food!

Last but not least, how could I forget sky-diving in Wollogong? Actually I was expecting a greater sense of achievement from doing it, oops. But definitely will recommend people to try it! 


BEST MOVIE

I think I probably catch too many movies (what else is there to do in Singapore?) but the best (probably due to recency bias haha) is Coco

And nope, the movie isn't about Coconuts but is about a kid's pursuit of his passion in music/dreams and balancing it with his family's expectations. Perfect movie for Asian kids and families I suppose? How often do we hear parents saying "How can you make a living by doing art/music?" etc?


There are a whole list of decent movies in 2017 (Marvel's movies are always good, Wonder Woman was good as well but Justice League was meh) but yes Coco you won (my vote).


BEST TV SHOW

I don't watch a lot of TV shows (oops) but Netflix's version of A Series of Unfortunate Events is the best thing I have seen in a while. I think the last I was addicted to something was probably Sherlock (and before that probably Vampire Diaries erms). Well, can't wait for the 2nd season of this show! And Neil Patrick Harris is a damn good actor. 


BEST SONG

Well, the song that I keep listening this year is probably Heavier by Linkin' Park (ft. Kiiara). Probably too late to try and read into songs when lives have been lost (to depression).

On a slightly happier note, Ed Sheeran's newest album is dope (ooh young lingo is it). Happier, Perfect, New Man, Supermarket Flowers are all quite good.

As for Chinese/Korean songs, 后来的我们by 五月天, 黑色柳丁by Hebe,Can You Hear My Heart (from Scarlet Heart Ryeo), Stay With Me (from Guardian: The Lonely and Great God) are all quite good.

Okay, why do I like sad songs.


BEST BOOK

Definitely "When Breath Becomes Air". 10/10 will recommend cause I can't really remember the last time I felt such heartache (and cried badly).

We always think we have a lot of time but I guess the message is that we don't know when life will end. 

On a related note, Being Mortal is a good book, especially if you are someone who often contemplate about what really constitutes life e.g Does a life where you are dependent on life support considered a life etc. Sidenote, if euthanasia is the way out for people with terminal illness to relieve their pain and suffering (ok typically those are the people who want to go for that), then what is the way out for people who are suffering mentally? 


That marks the end of 2017? In this upcoming year, I hope I will get to travel more (time to explore Southeast Asia more, e.g. Indonesia, Vietnam), to find a proper hobby (instead of watching so much Youtube videos...) and to stop being nice to people who don't deserve it (hahaha).

Happy New Year (in advance) to everybody 😊

You May Also Like

0 comments